Oscar’s Bullet Binge

In the early hours of the morning, Oscar the 12 year old Cocker Spaniel feasted on almost a whole block of Lindt chocolate and three packets of Darrell Lea chocolate bullets. (He isn’t a fan of the cheap and nasty). He presented to the clinic a few hours later after having a couple of episodes of vomiting and diarrhoea at home. Once admitted, Oscar was given a tablet to induce further vomiting, and look what came up in the image below. 

Oscar was then put on intravenous fluid therapy for the day and given a good helping of oral charcoal, which absorbs any remaining chocolate in the gastrointestinal system. Clinical signs of chocolate toxicity vary depending on both the type and amount of chocolate ingested. The most common signs being vomiting or diarrhoea, restlessness and panting. In more severe cases, muscle tremors, seizures, and heart problems can be seen. If any amount of chocolate is ingested by your furry friend, please contact your vet immediately for advice. 

Share